Click here to learn more about our rooting service
This guide will show you how to root the popular Samsung Galaxy J5 phone from Samsung.
Disclaimer: FlexiSPY is not responsible for rooting the Android device in any way. Before performing any of these steps make sure you back up your Android device completely.
Rooting is done entirely by you at your own risk.
What is needed to root the Samsung Galaxy J5?
In order to root the Samsung Galaxy J5 you will need the following.
- The Samsung Galaxy J5 you want to root in your hand.
- A PC.
Step 1 – Download the USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy J5 for your PC
In order for your PC to recognise the Samsung Galaxy J5 as part of the rooting process you first must download and install the USB drivers on to your PC.
You can download the USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy J5 from here.
Once you have downloaded them run the main program file to make sure the drivers are installed.
Step 2 – Download the Odin rooting program
In order to root the Samsung Galaxy J5 using the root file given in the next step you must first download Odin which is what will be used to install the root file on to the Samsung Galaxy J5 and perform the rooting process.
You can download Odin from here.
Once downloaded extract the file to a convenient location such as the desktop.
Step 3 – Download the Samsung Galaxy J5 root package
Now that we have installed the Samsung Galaxy J5 USB drivers and downloaded Odin we now need to download the root package to be used for the rooting process.
You can download the Samsung Galaxy J5 root package from here. Make sure you save it in an easy to find location such as the desktop and extract it to its own folder to get a .TAR file.
Step 4 – Enable USB debugging on the Samsung Galaxy J5
In order for your PC to recognise the Samsung Galaxy J5 when you plug it in to perform rooting you must first enable USB debugging on the phone itself. This is done by doing the following.
- Tap the Settings option.
- Tap the About Phone option.
- Keep tapping the Build Number option (seven times) until it says you are a developer.
- Tap the new Developer Options menu that appears.
- Make sure that the USB Debugging option is checked.
Step 5 – Root the Samsung Galaxy J5
Now that we have all we need it is time to root the Samsung Galaxy J5. Before we can do that you must first put the Samsung Galaxy J5 in to Download mode which can be done using the following steps.
- Make sure the Samsung Galaxy J5 is powered off completely.
- Hold down the Volume down key and the Home key and the power button and keep all three buttons pressed until the Samsung Galaxy J5 powers up.
- Providing you have done it correctly it should boot in to Download mode and you press the Volume up key to start Download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy J5 now to your PC.
- Run the Odin software you downloaded in step 2.
- Inside Odin click the AP option (this may be known as PDA in earlier versions of Odin) and browse on your computer to the root file you extracted in step 3.
- Inside Odin click Start to begin the root process.
The process will take a few moments after which the Samsung Galaxy J5 will restart itself and complete the rooting process – Do not remove the Samsung Galaxy J5 from your PC during this time.
Once the Samsung Galaxy J5 starts up properly simply go to Apps and look for the SuperSU icon that should now be present.
If you can see this icon, it means that the Samsung Galaxy J5 has been successfully rooted.